Sunday, July 25, 2010

An Open Letter to Don Draper














Mr. Donald F. Draper
Sterling, Cooper, Draper & Pryce
c/o Pierre Hotel
New York, NY

July 25, 2010

Dear Don,

Don't suck.  Just please don't suck.  I'm going to see you tonight for the first time in almost 9 months, and I want it to be great.  I've missed you and I don't think I could bear it if tonight is anything less than brilliant.

So please don't suck, ok?

I've thought about you a lot in these past 36 weeks.  Where is your office?  You must have moved from the Pierre by now.  Where are you living?  Are you seeing anyone?  Is your divorce final?

Oh Don, so many questions.  And you, holding all the answers.  

It's funny, when I first met you I thought you were the king of cool.  A cigarette perpetually dangling from the corner of your mouth, rye whiskey and broads aplenty.  Ring a ding ding, baby, you know?

But as I got to know you a little better, I began to see how much more complicated you are than that.  For instance, you're an excellent creative director, but a jerk to work for.  And you're a terrible husband and father.  Yet still I find myself rooting for you, interested in your life, wanting you to triumph and succeed.

I see what you've run away from, how you've worked so very very hard to erase the past and create a new persona.  But let's face it, Don, you've fucked some shit up.  And now you're going to have to figure it out.

So I'll be waiting, Don, and watching.  I'll always be here for you.

Just don't let me down, ok?


Sincerely,

Paul F. Cammarota

3 comments:

  1. He had so much work to do that it would have been difficult not to disappoint... and at first I thought he had.

    But after I'd thought about it for a while I felt pretty good about it. The whole episode was catch-up and set-up and I think we've got to cut them a little slack to get plot lines in order for us.

    I like seeing Don forced to face the harsh realities of business when it's his name on the door. He's learning quickly that he'll need to do things that go against his nature and he really doesn't like. The survival of SCD&P is resting firmly on his shoulders and if he's going to tell potential clients to fuck off, he's gonna have to slap on a smile and glad-hand every Tom Dick and Harry to woo some new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Paul. Great Idea. I'm not sure Don heard you.

    ReplyDelete