Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Execution... eh. Concept... total dunkslam!

You'll see what I mean.


I am working on introducing "Dunkslam" into the vernacular... it's so lame that it is actually very cool.

I love this next spot. It's getting a lot of write ups and it's very funny. The casting is spot on. Who knows what this guy does... sales rep, construction, manufacturing, whatever, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that he's pissed, like an angry red pimple about to pop!


Funny, yes. Will it air? No. This is an agency or directors cut. It has to be... it's 43 seconds long. Who airs a :43?

Agency and directors cuts are the lazy way out. It's easy to take all the best bits from your shoot and put them into a spot that can never air because it's an odd length, or so edgy that the client will never buy it. The real challenge to all of us, writers, art directors, producers, account people, is to make the on air cut and the agency cut one and the same. A cut so good that the agency is proud of it and the client loves it. Otherwise what's the point?

It's doubtful this spot could ever air. Despite all the careful bleeping, it's completely clear what this guy is saying and I don't know what network, cable or otherwise, is going to air a spot in which the main character says, "I will rip off their fucking heads... I will shit down their fucking throats." It's funny, don't get me wrong. I just won't be looking for it on the air any time soon.

Maybe this :43 is for the internet. That would take time and content constraints off the table. However, there is a :30 of this spot somewhere... haven't seen it yet, but if it's for broadcast it's probably a bit different.

No matter, it's still f*%king funny (see how I bleeped myself but you still knew what I was saying).

And I loooooove those sideburns!

No comments:

Post a Comment