Saturday, August 15, 2009

A long walk spoiled.

I've produced so many commercials over the years that I've become accustomed to all dialogue being delivered in one or two line bits. It's difficult to remember that actors sometimes are called upon to do more difficult things, like walk and talk at the same time.

You think it's easy to walk and talk at the same time? Try this.



Could you do that? I know I couldn't.


I've watched this half a dozen times and I keep getting nervous for Robert Carlyle, like he's somehow going to screw it up halfway through and have to start over. And each time he delivers the last line and walks away from camera, I feel like he must be heaving a sigh of relief thinking, "Thank God I got through it that time!"

I know Carlyle is a trained professional, and I know the amount of choreography and rehearsal that must have gone into this. But still, one take? I think that's brilliant. And the Red camera is gorgeous here.


How far was the walk, do you think, from beginning to end?


I'm not above being manipulated. Christ, I've spent my career trying to do it to other people. So even though I know I'm watching a commercial, and a 6 1/2 minute commercial at that, I don't mind it in the least. It is so well executed that I've got to appreciate and respect the craft that has gone into it.


Except for one minor thing. One teensy weensy little thing.


WTF with the 60 second credit roll at the end???


See, now this is where everyone gets a little off track and begins to confuse art with commerce.


"Look at this beautiful piece of art we've created. It's like a little movie, isn't it? By God it is a little movie. Oh, look at us lads, we've made a little movie. Why, we must attach our names to this because everyone who sees it will want to know who we are. They will want to know the name of the Props Buyer, and the Caterer, and the Brand Manager. Because we are important. We are the important people who create these beautiful little films and bring them to you."


Does anyone care who the Johnnie Walker Brand Home Manager is? I don't think so. It's a commercial for chrissakes. Get over it.


This unfortunate lapse in judgement does not negate the fact that Johnnie Walker has a history of really smart, beautifully directed and produced spots. Here's another one of my favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment