Tuesday, June 9, 2009

No rain, no rainbow.

I like Sprint's "What if --- ran the world?" campaign. There's one for delivery people, and this one for film crews.


Like most things on TV, this is a dumbed down version of a film set created for the general public. I've been on a lot of sets, and it's not quite like this. But there's one thing they got totally and completely right. Did you ever notice that on any shoot you've ever been on, no matter where the location, and no matter how cold the temperature, there's always one guy on the crew, usually a grip, wearing shorts? Once I was shooting in Canada, in January, by the side of a country road..at night. It had to be about 28 degrees, and the agency was issued these incredible production service down parkas. Those coats were like Admiral Peary at the North Pole parkas... they were thick and stuffed so chock full of down, each one weighed about 30 pounds. And still we were freezing. Yet there was that one grip skipping around in a fleece and cargo shorts.

Granted, the Sprint spot looks like it was shot in Malibu in the summer, but even so there's our boy in shorts. Looks like he's art department but still, thank you Sprint (actually
Jim Jenkins and O Positive) for the nod to reality.



**************************************************************************************
God Bless the USA
Recently I've been working at an agency in New Jersey, which means about 2 hours a day commuting back and forth on Rte 80. It's not a bad drive, and occasionally I'm rewarded with something like this:



I don't know who this guy is, or what line of business he's in, but obviously he's getting things done, whether I like it or not. You can just make out the pair of golden cojones dangling rakishly from the trailer hitch. I love how this guy has decided to forgo matching the chrome on the balls to the chrome on the truck, and has instead opted for the more Jersey-ish mix of gold and silver. I think that really puts an exclamation point on the whole thing, don't you? Having said that, I would be quick to point out that I am hardly one to judge, since this photo was taken as I was piloting the vehicle pictured here...

No comments:

Post a Comment